Tuesday, September 23, 2008

#3 cityscape

All the lights in the city are never off at the same time. They remain on like a nightlight in a child's bedroom. Cars speed across the city streets like horses running at the Kentucky Derby. The subway beneath the street causes the road above it to vibrate as it zooms along the track. Some of the skyscrapers in the city are over fifty stories high. A breeze sends chills down the backs of people outside and forces the tree branches to dance. Fast-Food resturants, that are open late, fill the air with the aroma of hamburgers and french fries. Clouds of car exhaust make pedesterians gag. Musicians are playing on streetcorners for money. Homeless people have given up on their panhandling and have resided to their park benches or alleys. Litter covers the streets like gum covers the bottom of a desk in a classroom. Headaches pound at the heads of the workaholics still at their jobs. Children who are in bed feel the warmth of their covers as they cuddle with their favorite stuffed animal. Televisions are roaring while adults watch the news and Dave Letterman's Late Show. Cars are honking and dogs are barking. The city is a circus that never stops performing.

1 comment:

Dually x3 said...

I really like your story. I enjoyed how you wrote not just about the city, but what was going on like the fast food restaurants. I thought that was very creative and descriptive. The whole paragraph reminds me of New York City with the aroma of hamburgers and french fries. The whole paragraph really made me think of my senses mostly with smell hear and sight. The only thing I would change is the ending because it just sort of stopped, and I would just add on that. But overall it was really clever and I very much enjoyed reading it!